[Fedora-packaging] May I file 1000 bugs aka upstream test suite tracking

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Feb 21 14:27:23 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 04:22:42PM +0200, Alexander Todorov wrote:
> Hi guys,
> (note: devel, packaging and test lists) previously I've done a
> little experiment and counted how many packages are likely to have
> upstream test suites and how many don't:
> http://atodorov.org/blog/2013/12/24/upstream-test-suite-status-of-fedora-20/
>
> In general around 35% do have test suites, the rest don't.
[...]
> My question is:
> **Is everyone, especially package maintainers OK with me filing 1000+ bugs ?**
>

> Last time I did so (around 100 bugs) it got a few people unhappy so
> better ask this time!

Is it correct that you're only going to be filing bugs when upstream
tarballs already contain test suites, but they are just not enabled in
the Fedora package?  If so, it seems reasonable to file a bug
encouraging the packager to enable the existing test suite.

My concern is that the packager is not the right person to create a
new test suite for a package.

Rich.