[Fedora-packaging] Clarification for Packaging:JavaScript#CompilationMinification

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Fri Jan 17 13:44:52 UTC 2014

JavaScript Guidelines[1] about compilation/minification don't mention
source RPMs at all. Someone suggested that if we ship pre-compiled
javascript in a source rpm (even if we don't then ship it in binary
RPMs) we are not fulfilling the open source definition[2]

More specifically this part:
"The source code must be the preferred form in which a programmer would
modify the program. Deliberately obfuscated source code is not
allowed. Intermediate forms such as the output of a preprocessor or
translator are not allowed."

In essence:
Is it enough to just remove minified/obfuscated js in %prep/%build to make
sure we are not using pre-built version or do we have to remove it from
the tarball so that we don't ship such compiled versions even in SRPMs?

Above is especially important for GPL-licensed JS libraries, but even
more permissive licenses could run afoul of Fedora "Freedom" foundation
I guess.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:JavaScript#CompilationMinification
[2] http://opensource.org/osd-annotated

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>
Software Engineer - Developer Experience

PGP: 7B087241