[Fedora-packaging] Packaging of /usr/share/doc/{%name}-{%version} directories not 100% clear

Alexander Todorov atodorov at redhat.com
Thu Nov 20 09:54:07 UTC 2014

Hi guys,
I was looking into bug #1114586 and it reveals a significant number (400+) of
RPM packages which leave empty directories under /usr/share/doc when installed
with --excludedocs.

I've looked at a few of them and they had either

%dir %{_docdir}/%{name}-%{version}
%doc %{_docdir}/%{name}-%{version}/some_file

or

%doc %{_docdir}/%{name}-%{version}

in their spec files.

The ones which don't leave behind empty directories specify only the
documentation files, not the name-version directories as part of the file list.

In my test all 400+ directories under /usr/share/doc are empty, no files in
them. Obviously we don't need these directories either. It is very likely people
who use --excludedocs will complain about these empty directories as well.

The Packaging Guide doesn't say anything about these name-version directories,
whether they should be specified in the spec file or only the indivisual files
specified. I'd like to hear your opinion on this packaging situation before I go
ahead and file hundreds of bugs into Bugzilla.

Thanks,
Alex