[Fedora-packaging] Packaging of /usr/share/doc/{%name}-{%version} directories not 100% clear

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 10:49:28 UTC 2014

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 13:45:55 +0200, Alexander Todorov wrote:

> Do we want to fix these packages which don't fully comply
> with --excludedocs or don't really care about them ?

Well, it cannot be fixed easily with _removal_ of directory ownership
in the packages. It would likely need to be handled in RPM itself
(which btw does not mark directories as %doc but just files).

[...]

If you want a fix in the spec files, they would need to abandon
including doc files with means other than plain %doc for local
files from builddir. In some packages that is done, and even the
old-school hack to move installed doc files into $(pwd)/_tmp_docs
for later including it via %doc _tmp_docs is used actively. But
in other cases, the %_docdir/%name-%version path is mentioned not
only in doc files but also somewhere in the application. Some
packagers don't like patching it to make it non-versioned.

And theoretically, there could be corner-cases, where a %doc file
is stored somewhere outside %_docdir, and you would want the dir
ownership even for the --excludedocs scenario, if the user or
another package also may store files in that dir.