[Fedora-packaging] Do we need to relicense font packages to add metainfo files?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 06:53:23 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:19:30AM +0530, Parag N(पराग़) wrote:
> Hi,
>    I am working on fixing font packages for adding metainfo files as
> asked in http://blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/2014/10/15/gnome-software-and-fonts/
>
> I want to know if its okay to relicense all font package tags to add
> say "and CC-BY" in license tag. This value can be any of 5 permissible
> licenses as given in
> http://www.freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/chap-Metadata.html#sect-Metadata-GenericComponent.
>
> I just filed https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/462 ticket also.

Replied on the ticket that precedent is likely the licensing of AppData
files
https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/414#comment:14

where it was determined that Fedora-generated AppData files should be the
same as the upstream project's license.  The appdata validate tool was
adapted so that the way we invoked it did not trigger warnings on these
license tags.