[Fedora-packaging] /usr/share vs /usr/libexec

Sérgio Basto sergio at serjux.com
Sun Apr 26 01:57:04 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Qua, 2015-04-22 at 08:17 -0600, Ken Dreyer wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 8:06 AM, Miloslav Trmač <mitr at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >> I confess I've only seen /usr/libexec used for add-on utilities, but
> >> now I'm curious.
> >>
> >> Does it make more sense for these sort of scripts to live in
> >> /usr/libexec, or in /usr/share?
> >
> > /usr/libexec.  From (info standards):
> >
> >> `libexecdir'
> >>     The directory for installing executable programs to be run by other
> >>     programs rather than by users.
> >

> The thing that threw me is that I poked around in /usr/share and found this:
>
> $ cat /bin/createrepo
> #!/bin/sh
> exec /usr/share/createrepo/genpkgmetadata.py "$@"
>
> Given what you're saying, would this be considered a bug in createrepo?
>
> There are a lot of Python files in /usr/share, but createrepo was one
> that's the most obvious to me (simply shelling out to a file in
> /usr/share). Similarly, there are a lot of executable files: (find
> /usr/share/ -executable -type f) Are these all bugs?

I'm adding packaging Mailing List, seems to me that we can get more help
here.
I have a lot of questions on this topic, not just /usr/share
vs /usr/libexec also vs /usr/lib .

>From what I understand, this is a problem that was created from Debian
translations. Debian don't have /usr/lib64/ and put all in /usr/lib, so
when we are packaging things that came "debianized". We got problems
when have things in /usr/lib/package and aren't libs and or are noarch
things. What we should do ? put it in /usr/libexec ? in /usr/share ? or
have a /usr/lib even for x86_64 ?

We got weird examples: /usr/lib/rpm, /usr/lib/systemd/
and /usr/lib/udev/ shouldn't be in /usr/share/rpm etc ?

Thanks,
--
Sérgio M. B.