[Fedora-packaging] Is it time to allow Chromium in Fedora?

Gerald B. Cox gbcox at bzb.us
Tue Aug 11 18:25:02 UTC 2015

There has been a lively discussion within KDE regarding the Konqueror
browser; and subsequently it has been decided that a non-KDE, GTK browser
will be the default for the spin.

Why, because Firefox is the only choice for Fedora, Chromium is not allowed.

Here is a good excerpt:

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 9:56 AM, Dan Mossor <danofsatx at gmail.com> wrote:

> The correct avenue here, in light of the news from the upstream products,
> is to keep the status quo regardless of the lack of usability. When we
> finally get a fully-featured Qt based browser, that is when we switch. We
> DO NOT switch to a GTk based browser that has zero integration with the
> Plasma desktop - single click selection of files and directories within
> Firefox doesn't even work, let alone the theming and other issues.
> Ironically, those two items, as well as integration with kWallet, work fine
> with Google Chrome (which is not a choice in this discussion).

Tom Calloway has been working on Chromium - and his copr is up-to-date for
anyone who wants to try it.
https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/spot/chromium/

It's been a slow slog working through the issues keeping it from the
official repository, but progress
has been made:  https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=28287

Things have also changed over the years, and Chrome/Chromium's popularity
has continued to grow and is now packaged in Ubuntu, Debian and Suse.
Firefox has exceptions mainly because it is deemed "to popular" to keep out
of the distribution.  I think it is obvious to everyone that
Chrome/Chromium is "at least" as popular than Firefox.

I realize we have our guidelines and we're not Debian, Suse or Ubuntu...
and that's a good thing.  But, if we're making exceptions for Firefox
because of it's popularity shouldn't we do the same for Chromium.