[Fedora-packaging] Is it time to allow Chromium in Fedora?

Gerald B. Cox gbcox at bzb.us
Wed Aug 12 15:54:10 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 8:14 AM, Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> It's important to note that "popularity" is not the sole reason for
> exceptions for Firefox. Overall, everyone should review the existing
> discussion in the guidelines about bundling exceptions and consider how
> this might fit in (possibly including revisions if they make sense):
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:No_Bundled_Libraries#Some_reasons_you_might_be_granted_an_exception

Matt,
My intent on this thread was simply to bring this topic to the forefront
and generate some discussion.  It was not to
challenge the guidelines.  The first discussions regarding this I found
were in 2009, and quite a few things have changed
since then.  In 2009 one could not argue that Chromium was "To Big To Fail"
- I'm not too sure about that now; especially
in light of the recent Konqueror discussion which highlighted the fact that
Fedora is highly dependent on Firefox.
Firefox ends up being the default choice because it is the ONLY choice.
That is becoming an untenable situation.