[Fedora-packaging] Is it time to allow Chromium in Fedora?

William Moreno williamjmorenor at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 16:52:38 UTC 2015

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 10:11:39PM -0400, Gary Gatling wrote:
> > > I realize we have our guidelines and we're not Debian, Suse or
> Ubuntu...
> > > and that's a good thing.  But, if we're making exceptions for Firefox
> > > because of it's popularity shouldn't we do the same for Chromium.
> > I agree with Gerald. If there are exceptions for firefox due to
> popularity
> > then chromium deserves the same bundling exceptions. Otherwise we are not
> > being fair.
>
> It's important to note that "popularity" is not the sole reason for
> exceptions for Firefox. Overall, everyone should review the existing
> discussion in the guidelines about bundling exceptions and consider how
> this might fit in (possibly including revisions if they make sense):
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:No_Bundled_Libraries#Some_reasons_you_might_be_granted_an_exception

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:No_Bundled_Libraries#Forks_of_packages_which_have_been_granted_an_exception

Here say:

"firefox has a temporary bundling exception since it has an active security
team tracking issues in their codebase. icecat has a temporary exception
since it is a fork of firefox that closely tracks firefox's changes. We'll
re-evaluate this before F22."

Maybe will be a good time to look at Chromium too