[Fedora-packaging] naming package as a library or tool

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Aug 18 18:59:56 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 01:22:59PM +0530, Parag Nemade wrote:
>    Sometimes I get confused how to handle naming of a package where
> package itself provides a nodejs or python library and wrapper/tool to
> use that library.
>    We have guidelines where it says if source is library from npmjs or
> pypi then we should prefix package with nodejs or python but how to
> name when source contains both?
>    What gets precedence? name them with prefixes or just by tool name
> or library name?

Subpackages are definitely the answer here. There are still several
rational options. If the tool is primary, making the main package be
the upstream name ("foobar") makes sense, with subpackage for the
library ("python3-foobar", "foobar-libs"). If the library is primary,
though, you might want to go for "libfoobar" and "libfoobar-tools".

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>