[Fedora-packaging] gnome-shell extension packaging and directory ownership questions

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 11:21:32 UTC 2015

On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 13:11:42 +0200, Kalev Lember wrote:

> gnome-shell-extension-common is an internal subpackage for the
> gnome-shell-extensions source package. Please don't make other packages
> that come from different source packages depend on it.

Could the package description reflect that then, too?

  | Common files and directories needed by
  | extensions are provided here.

is very general, given that we still need to "Requires: hicolor-icon-theme"
as a filesystem package, too.

> I went ahead and added an empty extensions directory (and
> search-providers directory) to gnome-shell itself,
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/gnome-shell.git/commit/?id=a5548a25bf3aaa54b315463f19bab05c08ccddee
>
> That should make it easier for extensions packages - just use
> 'Requires: gnome-shell' and the directory gets created along with
> gnome-shell.

The closer look at this issue is that other extension packages don't
own /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/ so far. It's good if gnome-shell
provides that dir. Thanks!