[Fedora-packaging] naming package as a library or tool

Parag Nemade panemade at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 03:09:55 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 12:29 AM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 01:22:59PM +0530, Parag Nemade wrote:
>>    Sometimes I get confused how to handle naming of a package where
>> package itself provides a nodejs or python library and wrapper/tool to
>> use that library.
>>    We have guidelines where it says if source is library from npmjs or
>> pypi then we should prefix package with nodejs or python but how to
>> name when source contains both?
>>    What gets precedence? name them with prefixes or just by tool name
>> or library name?
>
> Subpackages are definitely the answer here. There are still several
> rational options. If the tool is primary, making the main package be
> the upstream name ("foobar") makes sense, with subpackage for the
> library ("python3-foobar", "foobar-libs"). If the library is primary,
> though, you might want to go for "libfoobar" and "libfoobar-tools".

Thanks. I have too followed same thing for some of my packages
recently. Here what I want is, is this written somewhere? Just to give
reference to package submitter if he want some official source during
package review.

I can't find such explanation in python packaging guidelines wiki page
and also not in
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Addon_Packages_.28python3_modules.29
page.

Can some one if possible add this naming information there? Or do I
need to file a ticket on fpc for this?

Regards,
Parag.