[Fedora-packaging] Should release number (DistTag) agree between branches ?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 15:49:25 UTC 2015

On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 08:03:00 -0700, Brad Bell wrote:

> I have the case where the master (rawhide) has the following verison and
> release
>      Version: 20150000.4
>      Release: 2%{?dist}
> The other branches have not had any builds with this version of the
> upstream source.
>
> It it correct to just merge the master into origin/f21 and then push as
>      http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_maintenance_guide
> might be suggesting ?
>
> Perhaps I should change the release to
>      Release: 1%{?dist}
> and the log  from
>      * Sun Feb 01 2015 Brad Bell <bradbell at seanet dot com> - 20150000.4-2
>      * Sun Feb 01 2015 Brad Bell <bradbell at seanet dot com> - 20150000.4-1

Why would you want to do that? The %dist macro is not there without
reason. It ensures that the build for an older branch is _lower_ than
the build for newer branches. If you need to touch/update only an
old branch, notice:

  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Minor_release_bumps_for_old_branches

Else, the Dist Tag guidelines are these:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#The_.25.7B.3Fdist.7D_Tag