[Fedora-packaging] questions about license file migration

Björn Persson Bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Sat Feb 28 15:38:16 UTC 2015

Hi, I'm working to update my packages to use %license, and I have two
questions:

1: Must license files be placed in /usr/share/licenses/<package>, or is
it only required that they are tagged as license files in the package?
For example, if a package's build system installs a license in
/usr/share/doc/<package>, is the spec required to move it from there to
/usr/share/licenses/<package>, or is it enough to tag it with %license
in the file list?

2: When a package has a list of authors separate from the license file,
should that list also be tagged as a license file, or is it considered
regular documentation? It seems to me that *who* gives out a license is
important information that belongs together with the license.

Björn Persson