[Fedora-packaging] dangling symlink vs file dependencies

Mat Booth mat at matbooth.co.uk
Thu Jul 2 14:14:09 UTC 2015

On 2 July 2015 at 14:04, Vít Ondruch <vondruch at redhat.com> wrote:

> Dne 2.7.2015 v 14:33 Tom Hughes napsal(a):
> > On 02/07/15 12:43, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> >
> >> I am trying to update rubygem-apipie-rails and on that occasion, I'm
> >> going to unbundle the jquery. I did that by specifying "Requires:
> >> js-jquery1" and replacing the original file by symlink. And now rpmlint
> >> complains:
> >>
> >> rubygem-apipie-rails.noarch: W: dangling-symlink
> >>
> /usr/share/gems/gems/apipie-rails-0.3.4/app/public/apipie/javascripts/bundled/jquery-1.7.2.js
> >>
> >> /usr/share/javascript/jquery/1/jquery.js
> >> The target of the symbolic link does not exist within this package or
> >> its file
> >> based dependencies.  Verify spelling of the link target and that the
> >> target is
> >> included in a package in this package's dependency chain.
> >>

> >> I could resolve this by "Requires: %{_jsdir}/jquery/1/jquery.js" and I'd
> >> love to do it, but this practice is discouraged by guidelines. Now I am
> >> wondering:
> >
> > Is there actually a problem that needs resolving? or is it just that
> > rpmlint doesn't realise that the require of js-jquery1 will bring in
> > the target of the symlink?
> >
> > I mean every nodejs package that has dependent modules reports these
> > rpmlint warnings (because it doesn't know that the npm(xxx) require will
> > bring in the targets) but we just ignore them.
> >
> > Tom
> >

> I find the file requires better describing what my package needs and
> find them more robust. So I'd like to use them. And I am wondering if
> there is still technical reason to not use them.
>
> And one nice side effect would be one resolved rpmlint warning.

I may be mis-remembering, but I think file-based requires are discouraged
due to having to download file-lists to resolve (i.e. resolved file-based
requires is much slower.)

Personally I would ignore that rpmlint warning, because you *do* specify a
requires that satisfies the symlink. Some of my packages have this warning
too, but IMHO this is a rpmlint bug.

--
Mat Booth
http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora