[Fedora-packaging] Packaging python-snappy: choosing name

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 16:35:57 UTC 2015

Quoting from https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1244514#c4

| "SnapPy is a program …" and not only a Python Module. Hence it
| would not be subject to Fedora's naming guidelines for Python modules.

At Fedora we don't prepend the "python-" prefix to applications written
in Python. Naming the package for the program "SnapPy"

  http://www.math.uic.edu/t3m/SnapPy/

"python-snappy" would be strange. But the "program" includes a Python
module called "snappy", too:

  http://www.math.uic.edu/t3m/SnapPy/snappy.html

So, the application package would conflict with the existing "snappy"
Fedora package. Naming it "python-snappy" would cause confusion and
a conflict with "python-snappy" from review request 1244514, and
naming that one "python-python-snappy", well, that's why I suggested
consulting the packaging@ list. ;-)