[Fedora-packaging] Help with private-shared-object-provides from rpmlint

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Wed Jul 22 20:34:10 UTC 2015

DJ> rpmlint is outputting a private-shared-object-provides warning [1]
DJ> and I don't understand what the issue is or how I go about fixing
DJ> it. Any advice?

It's pretty simple, really.  Your package has some sort of shared
library for which RPM automatically generates a Provides: entry, but
which is not actually installed in a path where it can be accessed as a
system library.  This is usually because it's some sort of plugin.

The solution is provided in the document to which you linked: set up
filtering so that RPM does not generate the errant Provides: entry.

 - J<