[Fedora-packaging] Packages without a dist tag

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Jun 16 20:41:42 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 10:44:26 -0400,
  Martin Krizek <mkrizek at redhat.com> wrote:
>According to [1], using a dist tag is mandatory. However there are quite a few
>packages [2] where a dist tag is missing. I am curious if those are bugs and
>should be filed. Or are there any exceptions that I am missing?

Some of those were large data sets for games. The idea was that when doing
an upgrade between releases you could save downloading a large amount of
data when there wasn't really a change. This cost isn't as bad now and there \
are some downsides to not having the dist tag. When I get involved with
such games now, I add dist tags, but I haven't looked for these cases
systematically.