[Fedora-packaging] Packages without a dist tag

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 18 16:13:37 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-06-17 at 13:27 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 10:44:26AM -0400, Martin Krizek wrote:
> > According to [1], using a dist tag is mandatory. However there are quite a few
> > packages [2] where a dist tag is missing. I am curious if those are bugs and
> > should be filed. Or are there any exceptions that I am missing?
>
> Soooo, going back a level... I see that there is a "DISTTAG" in RPM
> headers, but it's not set to anything in any of my installed packages.
>
> What if we actually set this in the build system, and removed it from
> the Release field in all of our specfiles (with one big recursive sed
> script)? The filename generation could be changed to automatically add
> this, and query and sort operations also adjusted appropriately.

1. Then you need to fix rpm/yum/dnf/libsolv to honor it for upgrades.

2. Then you need to fix rpm/yum/dnf/libsolv to parse it out of the
specfile and honor it for conflicts/obsoletes/provides/requires.

3. Then you need to fix createrepo/createrepo-c, and the repodata, to
work with #2.

4. Then you need to fix yum/dnf/etc. to optionally parse it out of the
command line.

5. Then you need to fix koji.

6. Then you just need to fix the rest of the world.