[Fedora-packaging] github URLs?

Pierre-Yves Chibon pingou at pingoured.fr
Tue Jun 23 16:23:11 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 09:15:58AM -0700, Gerald B. Cox wrote:
>    On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 8:38 AM, Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou at pingoured.fr>
>    wrote:
>
>      In which case we're ending up with no way of knowing which version of
>      0.0.1 we
>      built since upstream may tag it multiple times (and people do!).
>
>    People can do all kinds of things not only in Git, but other VCS platforms
>    toA
>    cause mischief.A  Once you tag something, you shouldn't change it.A  It
>    justA
>    isn't a good practice, especially if you're creating a package for
>    distribution. A
>    Nothing is preventing someone from changing an archive and using the same
>    name. A
>    If I was working on a package with upstream
>    and found that they were abusing tags, I'd point out to them why they
>    shouldn't be
>    doing that.A  I've found that when you explain something, most people get
>    it.
>    Regarding the packaging guidelines, I've put together a draft revision of
>    the SourceURL
>    document that I plan to submit to FPC. A
>    You can review it here:
>    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Gbcox/PackagingDrafts/SourceURL

I was going to reply that it's not because shouldn't do something that they
don't do it, but reading your draft it seems we are agreeing on the fact that
the commit hash should be the one used.

However, your draft seems to include two changes, a rephrase of the regarding
the point discussed here (URLs) as well as a proposal for handling sub-modules.
Might be wise to split these into two proposals.

Pierre