[Fedora-packaging] DRAFT: SourceURL addition/clarification - Git Hosting Services

Remi Collet Fedora at FamilleCollet.com
Fri Jun 26 14:44:15 UTC 2015

Le 26/06/2015 05:45, Gerald B. Cox a écrit :
> This has also been discussed in a separate thread, but I thought I would place
> it in a separate post in case people didn't notice.
>
> I'm proposing the SourceURL Guideline be changed as follows:
>
>  1.  Change GitHub section to reflect Git Hosting Services, so as not to
>       tie the guideline to a specific service
>  2.  Include information on how to handle Git Submodules
>  3.  Clarify when commit hash vs. Git Tag should be used
>
> Here is the Draft document
> <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Gbcox/PackagingDrafts/SourceURL>.

I strongly believe the "commit hash" method should be preferred as in
the current Guidelines (and obviously not a "last solution")

About the "Git Submodules",
I think this is directly conflicting with the "no bundled" Guidelines.

If a package use a submodule, this mean it use another project which
have to be packaged separately, and used.

Example:

https://github.com/10gen-labs/mongo-php-driver-prototype/tree/master/src
=> dependency on libbson + libmongc

https://github.com/mongodb/mongo-c-driver/tree/master/src
=> dependency on libbson
etc...

(and the tar command shoud --exclude .git, and the chmod have no sense)

Remi.