[Fedora-packaging] Question regarding packaging standalone java jar's.

Eric Griffith egriffith92 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 21:46:47 UTC 2015

Hey all,

First off, let me just get this out of the way: Not looking to get
this package into the repo's or even into RPMFusion, I'm just playing
around to help myself learn and I had this on hand.

Trying to package Minecraft (which comes as a single Minecraft.jar), a
desktop file for minecraft, and an icon file.

Minecraft.jar, minecraft.desktop and minecraft.png are just sitting in
my SOURCES directory. When I run: "rpmbuild -ba Minecraft.spec" I get
yelled at about:

File not found:
/home/egriffith/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/Minecraft-1.0-1.fc21.x86_64/usr/bin/Minecraft.jar

    File not found:
/home/egriffith/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/Minecraft-1.0-1.fc21.x86_64/usr/share/applications/minecraft.desktop

    File not found:
/home/egriffith/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/Minecraft-1.0-1.fc21.x86_64/usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps/minecraft.png

Go check out the BUILDROOT directory and its blank. Fair enough, I
didn't tell it to copy or create anything, so I'm not surprised.

I'm assuming that i should be creating the directory structure under
%prep, yes? via "mkdir -p" but wouldn't it then get deleted when
%install happened? and what would even be the correct command
sequence? $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{_bindir}/ ? then copy %source0 into said
directory?

The spec file is copied below

[BEGIN SPEC FILE]
Name:           Minecraft
Version:        1.0
Release:        1%{?dist}

License:        Mojang Minecraft EULA
Source0:        Minecraft.jar
Source1:    minecraft.desktop
Source2:    minecraft.png

BuildRequires:  java
Requires:      java

%description
"Java based Sandbox adventure game written by Mojang AB."

%prep

%build

%install
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

%files
%{_bindir}/Minecraft.jar
%{_prefix}/share/applications/minecraft.desktop
%{_prefix}/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps/minecraft.png

%changelog
* Sun Mar  1 2015 Eric Griffith
-
[END OF SPEC FILE]

Any help would be appreciated guys & gals. As I said, I'm just trying
to learn and experiment with different things.