[Fedora-packaging] Packaging a library that creates a Ruby gem...

Darryl L. Pierce mcpierce at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 15:18:17 UTC 2015

I have two packages (qpid-cpp and qpid-proton) that, as part of their
source code, can generate a Ruby gem. In both cases the Ruby gem is
directly dependant on shared libraries produced by the codebase, and
those gems are already packaged separately for Fedora.

What I want to do is to create the gem, which is easy, and then install
and package it as a subpackage, which is proving to be hard. The problem
is that the %gem_install macro won't let me override where it looks for
the shared libraries and header files that it needs to create its
makefile.

Is there a way, during the packaging process, to do this? I need to have
the %gem_install macro either accept commandline options
(--without-qpid-lib-dir=[path], for example) or else put things where
they're discoverable by the %gem_install macro.

Any help?

--
Darryl L. Pierce <mcpierce at gmail.com>
http://mcpierce.blogspot.com/