[Fedora-packaging] For a cross-compiling toolchain, does it matter if /usr/bin/* links are symbolic or hard?

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Mon Nov 16 18:02:37 UTC 2015

NK> I personally think using hardlinks for that is is silly as heck. but
NK> it does profoundly simplify using alternative root installation
NK> directories for rpm.

Just a note that the packaging guidelines only weakly suggest that relative
symlinks be used for this purpose, but do not require it.  There's the
potential for breakage there but Fedora does seem to cope.  I do think
rpmlint warns about absolute symlinks, though.

It may be worth a change to the guidelines to mandate or at least more
strongly suggest relative symlinks in preference to absolute ones.  I'm
not really sure about that, though.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Symlinks

 - J<