[Fedora-packaging] Big revisions to the bundling guidelines incoming

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Wed Oct 7 19:41:38 UTC 2015

Just so FPC and everyone else here is aware, FESCo just approved a
rather significant revision to the bundling guidelines which removes FPC
from the process entirely.  FPC will need to formulate a new guideline
for recording upstream interaction but this should be no more than a
couple of sentences.

I have closed all of the existing bundling tickets.  In those tickets I
did erroneously mention the possibility of FPC still being involved with
bundling of packages in the critical path, but that was not in the
approved proposal.  Most bundling of any type is now permitted in all
packages, though it appears that FESCo will periodically audit the
voluntarily added Provides: bundled() tags.

I will draft a removal of the current bundling guidelines and their
replacement with something closely derived from what FPC approved, which
follows.

"
All packages whose upstreams allow them to be build against system
libraries must be built against system libraries.

All packages whose upstreams have no mechanism to build against system
libraries must be contacted publicly about a path to supporting system
libraries. If upstream refuses, this must be recorded in the spec file
using a persistent mechanism to be clarified in the packaging
guidelines.

All packages whose upstreams have no mechanism to build against system
libraries may opt to carry bundled libraries, but if they do, they must
include Provides: bundled(<libname>) = <version> in their RPM spec file.
"

The FESCo ticket is here: https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/1483
Minutes:
https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2015-10-07/fesco.2015-10-07-18.00.html
Log (discussion starts at 18:11:40):
https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2015-10-07/fesco.2015-10-07-18.00.log.html

I happened to notice a ping so at least one FPC member was able to be
present at the meeting to give some input from the packaging committee
standpoint.  Anyone interested in my opinions on the matter is welcome
to read the minutes.  I'm sure flames will result, but my interest here
on this list is only technical.

 - J<