[Fedora-packaging] Release Tag for Pre-release *and* Snapshot

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 11:46:09 UTC 2015

On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 23:34:15 -0400 (EDT), Scott Talbert wrote:

> I've got a package where upstream that has basically stopped doing
> releases, so I package git snapshots.  However, the last release they did
> was a pre-release (0.8.0rc1).  Any suggestions on what an appropriate
> Release tag should be in this case?
>
> Something like:
>
> 0.%{releasenum}.rc1git%{shortcommit}%{?dist}

Version: 0.8.0
Release: 0.%{releasenum}.rc1%{?dist}

That's the normal pre-release versioning scheme.

Absolutely no need to insert the git snapshot stuff in there as well.

In case you update to a future snapshot, it's possible to return to the
snapshot versioning scheme. Afterall, %{releasenum} is most significant
in both schemes, and if bumped correctly, anything right of it doesn't
matter during RPM version comparison.