[Fedora-packaging] Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Thu Sep 10 19:41:13 UTC 2015

SS> I have the impression (which may be totally wrong) that you are
SS> taking the binary approach here: either we care maximally or we do
SS> not care at all.

I sure hope that's not the tack I'm taking.

SS> It seem to me Stephen is making a proposal to tweak just one
SS> specific aspect of packaging rule, that is a softer enforcement
SS> model. FPC still has a truckload other good rules about packaging
SS> and nobody believes FPC should stop caring about overall package
SS> quality.

Indeed, that sums up Stephen's proposal.  Others (and specifically, the
message to which I was responding) sort of pushed the realm a bit
farther than just relaxing one rule.  Indeed, it was pushed out to the
idea that "good packaging" should be subservient to "features" and
"first".  Which it very may well be; that's not FPC's decision.  When
FPC is tasked to set out guidelines to enforce "good packaging", that's
what it does.  It's somewhat of a blunt instrument, because that's what
it has been asked to be.

I don't happen to agree with Stephen's proposal, but I do agree that at
the very least FPC needs to tighten up the language surrounding the
exception process.  Personally I would like to relax the rules as well,
but that's just my opinion and I haven't really fleshed it out to the
point that I could articulate anything reasonably.

Anyway, what I don't get is why we're to the point of tossing out the
primary anti-bundling rule when FESCo has always had the power to
override any FPC decision.  So FPC says "this isn't good packaging" and
FESCo can say "we understand, but quality packaging here is subservient
to the distro's mission".  That's always been the case, even when the
"E" stood for "Extras", and I suspect it would have worked just fine for
this situation.  Instead we're here debating whether FPC should be in
the business of reviewing bundling issues at all.

 - J<