[Fedora-packaging] RFC mass bug reporting: checksec failures

Alexander Todorov atodorov at redhat.com
Fri Sep 11 11:50:42 UTC 2015

Hello folks,
I'm looking at this feature:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Harden_All_Packages

<quote>
  How To Test

     Running checksec should always report only

Full RELRO Canary found NX enabled PIE enabled No RPATH No RUNPATH

otherwise a tracking bug should exist for the respective packages
</quote>

On a current Rawhide installation I'm seeing lots of potential failures, for
example:

Partial RELRO   Canary found      NX enabled    No PIE          No RPATH   No
RUNPATH

Question is how to deal with these because they appear to be in the hundreds ?

I will do my best to filter out any false negatives and group the results per
package but this still leaves quite a big number of bugs to report.

How do you feel about reporting all of these offences automatically ? Are there
any known exceptions which should be mentioned in the wiki page above ?

--
Alex