Needed: Mission Statement

Dennis Gregorovic dgregor at redhat.com
Mon Apr 18 14:52:28 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 21:08 -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> We're about ready to announce this list on fedora-devel-list and
> fedora-extras-list, but before we do we should write a mission
> statement.  I personally intend on keeping list traffic low noise and
> high relevancy by enforcing strict moderation.  Anything straying from
> the mission statement will have a single warning, then second infraction
> moderate bit set.
>
> Some ideas for the mission statement:
>
> * Agreement and documentation of perl packaging standards
> * Cleanup and maintenance of Core and Extras perl packages
> * Discussion of perl package development issues
> * Progressive packaging of CPAN toward Extras
>
> Anything we're missing?

Those all sound good.  Also, we may want to define a policy for which
Perl packages are allowed into Extras.  (for example, do they have to be
in CPAN first?)

> This week we need to figure out ways of better keeping the team informed
> about new bugs, triage and setting priorities, and tracking open issues.
>
> I am thinking perhaps we should auto-CC all FC and FE perl* packages to
> a fedora-perl-bugs at redhat.com list, and anybody that wants to follow all
> perl reports subscribe to that list.  This is easier to maintain than
> adding several people auto-CC to hundreds of packages in Bugzilla.  Then
> we can set filters on that list so only the most important types of bug
> mail are sent there in order to keep relevancy higher.
>
> I realize this isn't ideal, so very interested to hear your ideas of how
> we can better balance keeping informed with traffic volume.

I just did a query and there 67 open bugs in perl* components of FC and
FE.  This doesn't seem like all that many to me.  I like the idea of an
auto-CC to fedora-perl-bugs at redhat.com.  Additionally, I think it would
be worthwhile to email this list when a new Perl component is added (or
removed) from bugzilla.

Cheers
-- Dennis