Well here we are

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon Apr 18 17:25:15 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 12:03 -0400, Dennis Gregorovic wrote:

> Even if we can't fully automate the process, the more we can automate,
> the better.  My question is: which of the available tools[1] should we
> focus on?  If Chip is looking to work on cpanflute2, that would be
> great.

Could you elaborate on what exactly what process are you talking about?
Automagically packaging as many CPAN modules as possible?  There's
already http://rpmpan.sourceforge.net/ which IIRC uses cpanflute2, but I
have no real experience with it (RPMPan).  They probably have quite a
bit of experience in doing this.

cpanflute2 could be tweaked more towards suitability for Fedora/RHEL
purposes, but I'm afraid doing so could make it less useful for other
distros.  That's Chip's call, of course.

I don't personally believe in blindly autopackaging stuff in the first
place (not only for Perl modules), but maybe you're not talking about
this.

> A CPANPLUS::Dist::RPM module would be useful for installing Perl modules
> as RPMs created on-the-fly, but that's not quite what we need in Fedora
> Extras.

  yum install fedora-rpmdevtools
  emacs perl-Foo.spec # or xemacs
  # (X)Emacs containing a pre-filled Perl spec template comes up, just
  # fill in the blanks and save it.
  spectool -g -R perl-Foo.spec
  rpmbuild -ba perl-Foo.spec

The above is enough for me for now... if for some weird reason someone
uses vi :), maybe similar stuff can be hacked up for it too.

Somewhat OT: stuff I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere that could be
useful for automatically finding (Build)Dependencies, maybe someone has
used or evaluated some of these?  rpmbuild obviously already has
internal magic for the install time deps, but tools like cpanflute2
could use something like these for pre-filling build deps.
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Module-Depends/
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Module-Dependency/
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Module-ExtractUse/
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Module-Info/