CGI vs mod_perl vs perl (and others)

Jose Pedro Oliveira jpo at di.uminho.pt
Sat Apr 23 21:04:08 UTC 2005

Chip Turner,

> So my original idea of solving this problem once was to split out
> perl-CGI and then release updates to it.  Bad idea.  Wouldn't have
> worked.  So subsequently what I did with things like perl-Time-HiRes
> was completely destroy them from the perl package so that they -had-
> to be external packages.  You can see examples of such expurgation in
> the current perl.spec file:
>
> find $RPM_BUILD_ROOT -name '*HiRes*' | xargs rm -rfv
> find $RPM_BUILD_ROOT -name '*Filter*' | xargs rm -rfv
> find $RPM_BUILD_ROOT -name '*NDBM*' | xargs rm -rfv
>
> Begone!  Begone, foul packages.

A couple of question and notes about the above lines:

1) *HiRes* => perl-Time-HiRes

   Do you agree in bringing Time::HiRes back to the perl core
   package?

   Perl 5.8 has been having a pretty fast release cycle with
   the pumpkin manager Nicholas Clark: a new release almost every
   four months (although I remember reading somewhere - maybe in
   the perl5-porters mailing lists - that they were planning in
   increasing the time between new 5.8 releases to 6 months).

        Pumpkin manager Nicholas Clark
           5.8.2       2003-Nov-05
           5.8.3       2004-Jan-14
           5.8.4       2004-Apr-21
           5.8.5       2004-Jul-19
           5.8.6       2004-Nov-27

2) *Filter* => perl-Filter and perl-Filter-Simple

    The removal of Filter files causes similar problems

    Filter::Util::Call (perl-Filter)
    --------------------------------

    Perl version   Core module Filter::Util::Call
       5.008          1.06
       5.008001       1.0601
       5.008002       1.0601
       5.008003       1.0601
       5.008004       1.0601
       5.008005       1.0601
       5.008006       1.0601

    CPAN module id = Filter::Util::Call
       DESCRIPTION  Interface for creation of Perl Filters
       CPAN_USERID  PMQS (Paul Marquess <pmqs at cpan.org>)
       CPAN_VERSION 1.06
       CPAN_FILE    P/PM/PMQS/Filter-1.30.tar.gz

    The CPAN module version is older than the one shipped with
    Perl.  The CPAN Filter distribution has more files than the
    ones shipped with perl.

    Proposal: Ship the core perl module and drop the external
    perl-Filter package.

    Filter::Simple (perl-Filter-Simple)
    -----------------------------------

    Perl version   Core module Filter::Simple
       5.008         0.78
       5.008001      0.78
       5.008002      0.78
       5.008003      0.78
       5.008004      0.78
       5.008005      0.78
       5.008006      0.78

    CPAN Module id = Filter::Simple
       DESCRIPTION  Simplified source filtering
       CPAN_USERID  DCONWAY (Damian Conway <damian at conway.org>)
       CPAN_VERSION 0.79
       CPAN_FILE    D/DC/DCONWAY/Filter-Simple-0.79.tar.gz

    The CPAN module is newer than the one shipped with core Perl.

    Try to have it updated upstream (ping perl5-portes).

3) *NDBM* => /dev/null ?

    Why has this module been erased?  As far as I can tell
    there is no external perl module being packaged with NDBM.

Regards,
jpo
--
José Pedro Oliveira