Needed: Mission Statement

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Sun Apr 24 11:03:33 UTC 2005

Warren Togami wrote:
> I am thinking perhaps we should auto-CC all FC and FE perl* packages to
> a fedora-perl-bugs at redhat.com list, and anybody that wants to follow all
> perl reports subscribe to that list.  This is easier to maintain than
> adding several people auto-CC to hundreds of packages in Bugzilla.  Then
> we can set filters on that list so only the most important types of bug
> mail are sent there in order to keep relevancy higher.
>
> I realize this isn't ideal, so very interested to hear your ideas of how
> we can better balance keeping informed with traffic volume.

I'm reconsidering the fedora-perl-bugs list idea for two reasons:
1) There is no way to post FC bugs with embargo and hide that traffic
from the list.  By default anybody subscribed there would see the
security embargoed details and so would the list archive.
2) It is *annoying* to receive both bug mail directly, and a duplicate
from a bug distribution list.  Bugzilla has no way of knowing that you
would receive it twice.  Although this would be helped by filtering the
list mail before bug mail...

OK only #1 is a real problem.  That problem only makes this feasible if
we have a way of creating hidden bugs without adding auto-CC.  Current
Bugzilla this is not possible.

The alternative to this list is to add the few perl team leaders auto-CC
to all perl* FC packages.  Those members would be privy to embargo
details and expected to keep it private until the embargo lift date.

Or maybe this worry isn't too bad, because embargo on perl* really does
not happen often?  I have no clue...

Thoughts?

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com