Breaking perl...

Robin Norwood rnorwood at redhat.com
Mon Apr 16 17:58:03 UTC 2007

"Tom \"spot\" Callaway" <tcallawa at redhat.com> writes:

> On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 16:56 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
>
>> I was quite happy to add BR: perl(ExtUtils::MakeMaker) or whatever's
>> appropriate for a given module for the packages I maintain. I'm still
>> happy to do this.
>>
>> I can understand the desire to put perl-devel in the buildroot given the
>> lateness in the development cycle of the perl packaging change but only
>> as a temporary thing for F7 and something that would be reverted for F8.
>> Having the buildreqs correct in the packages has the be "the right thing
>> to do" in the long term.
>
> Yes, I agree with this too, I just don't want to add stress to the F-7
> cycle. We can drop perl-devel from the buildroot defaults in devel,
> F-8+.

Ok, that seems to be the consensus.  We'll roll the split into F7, add
the needed packages to the buildroots, and get the perl-* spec files
fixed for F8.  I'll get an email together to fedora devel list
explaining the changes and asking for feedback.  We should also update
the perl packaging guidelines wiki page(s).  Spot, I think you own those
- do you want to make the change (perl packages should now BR perl-devel
+ co), or shall I?

-RN

--
Robin Norwood