Splitting out CPAN, Test::Simple, Test::Harness, ExtUtils::MakeMaker

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Mar 12 07:01:47 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-10 at 10:57 -0600, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 15:54 -0500, Robin Norwood wrote:

This would render the core purpose of this split ad absurdum.

> > > It seems reasonable to me. There are some minor cosmetic changes I'd
> > > like to make (perl_version as opposed to perl_vers, use perl_version
> > > everywhere, macroize the other versions so they're easily fixable with
> > > new perl releases).
A matter of personal preference, but no problem with me.

> > > I was initially concerned about circular deps (perl-devel will require
> > > all of these new subpackages),
Hmm? Where do you see circular deps?

Could you point them out? At least I don't see any.

> > >  but perl won't need them as
> > > BuildRequires, so it should be ok.

> > Ok - I've got a -15 run through the build system.  It seems to work for
> > me.
>
> One other item:
>
> We probably should subpackage ExtUtils-Embed too.

I had considered doing this, but had abandoned this thought, because
there doesn't seem to exist a current standalone ExtUtils::Embed perl
dist (AFAIS, current EU::Embed's are only available through the main
perl-tarball. The EU::Embed dist CPAN lists seems to refer to an
abandoned version).

Ralf