"perl development" comps.xml group?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Apr 10 08:15:34 UTC 2009

Marcela Maslanova wrote:
> On 04/10/2009 01:28 AM, Chris Weyl wrote:
>> Hey all --
>>
>> We're starting to have a greater number of packages geared towards Perl
>> development...  Given that it'd be nice to have them all easily presented
>> for those so inclined, I thought it might be nice to have a "Perl
>> Development" comps.xml group.  There's precedent for this (e.g.
>> java-development, kde/gnome/x/web-software-development), and we do have a
>> number of packages that lend themselves nicely:
>>
>> perl-core
>> git-cpan
>> cpan-upload
>> perltidy
>> perl-Task-Catalyst
>> vim-perl-support
>> etc...
>>
>> I don't think it would make sense to try to include all the 1,000+ perl-*
>> packages out there; this group could be used to highlight the "upper
>> level"
>> stuff while those so inclined could still do a "yum install 'perl-*'".
>>
>> Thoughts?
I am not excited about this plan, because I feel there is no "common
subset" of package which is general enough to be used as "devel group"
in comps - I feel much of what you say above is based on your personal
individual demands.

E.g. the list you provide above isn't even close to what I use for
perl-development. I think these are likely what you use for your
individual purposes.

> But creating group in comps sounds better. Which packages do you want to
> include? Maybe choose the best rated from cpan?
I am very much opposed to doing this. Let's treat perl packages like all
others and let keep dependencies as minimal as posible and do not try to
add further dependency bloat through comps.

Ralf