new priv/vendorlib violating the FHS?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Jan 25 05:22:20 UTC 2010

On 01/24/2010 12:39 AM, Chris Weyl wrote:
> Hmm.  So, privlib/vendorlib in rawhide are now /usr/share/perl5, which
> seems to violate the FHS's requirement that /usr/share be used only
> for architecture-independent _data_ files[1], with /usr/lib* being
> used for libraries.[2]
>
> Is this a concern, or am I off-base here?

No, you're right. /usr/share is supposed to only contain
architecture-independent data. Applications, libraries etc. do not
belong in there.

=> vendorlib == /usr/share/perl5 is at least discussworthy.

However, I am now wondering about vendorlib's definition and its
potential use-cases - Are there any (legitimate) use-cases where
something would install arch-dependent data into vendorlib?

If the answer to this question is no, then I don't see anything wrong
with "vendorlib == /usr/share/perl5".

Ralf