perl packaging guidelines

Marcela Mašláňová mmaslano at redhat.com
Tue Jul 27 15:55:47 UTC 2010

 On 07/27/2010 08:50 AM, Iain Arnell wrote:
> 2010/7/23 Marcela Mašláňová <mmaslano at redhat.com>:
>> Hello,
>> I'd like to sent Draft for packaging guidelines for review. There were
>> added some changes a long time ago and it would be nice to have it
>> official. If there won't be any comments, I'll sent it at the end of
>> next week to comitee.
>>
>> The draft: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDraft:Perl
>>
>> It would be great to have a review from someone who has English as first
>> language.
> I've had a look and made a few uncontroversial tweaks to spelling and grammar.

Thank you.
> But I've also got a couple of slightly more controversial comments:
>
> Since we no longer have perl version numbers in @INC, I think the
> whole "Directory Ownership" section should be updated to reflect the
> current situation. With a few simple examples. Maybe something like:
>
> In general, perl's hierarchical naming convention for modules does not
> necessarily imply any hierarchical dependencies. For example,
> perl-YAML and perl-YAML-Tiny both install files to
> /usr/share/perl5/YAML; but perl-YAML-Tiny does not require perl-YAML
> (its whole raison d'être is to be a smaller alternative) so both
> packages need to own /usr/share/perl5/YAML directory.
>
> Even where there is some form of hierarchy, the split between
> arch-dependent and noarch packages can cause additional problems.
> Although perl-Moose-Autobox does require perl-Moose,
> perl-Moose-Autobox is a noarch package installing files to
> /usr/share/perl5/Moose whereas perl-Moose is architecture-dependent
> and installs its files to /usr/lib/perl5/Moose. Again, both packages
> need to own their top-level Moose directory.

I removed the actual part about directory ownership, because
it was useless and long. If you can sum it up in shorter paragraph,
please do so.

> And I wonder if it's worth trying to clarify the role of perl-sig.
> Since we don't have explicit group permissions in pkgdb, adding
> perl-sig to initial-cc may be understood to mean that perl-sig
> provenpackagers are effectively co-maintainers and may update packages
> as and when necessary.

I believe cut length of packaging guidelines is good thing. I've
just mentioned Perl SIG above. But I didn't find any wiki page about
us, only Chris Draft
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ChrisWeyl/PerlDraft#Fedora_Perl_SIG_Mission
Do we have something better?

Marcela