bootstrap macro

Petr Pisar ppisar at redhat.com
Fri Jul 1 07:29:43 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 06:08:49PM +0200, Iain Arnell wrote:

> Interesting though this is, why are we trying to bootstrap the entire
> rebuild? Perl 5.14 is sufficiently compatible with 5.12 that we can
> continue to provide perl(:MODULE_COMPAT_5.12.*) in perl-5.14.1 rpm
> until the rebuild is (nearly) complete and only need to worry about
> bootstrapping the arch-specific stuff (a much smaller problem set with
> no circular deps that affected my rebuild in mock). Once all the
> arch-specific stuff is rebuilt, all of the noarch packages should just
> work (except those with real failures due to new features - mostly
> regex stringification messing up tests).

The noarch compatibility between 5.12 and 5.14 is almost perfect, but this
could not be true in future upgrades. Being able to bootstrap perl fully
automatically is great benefit. E.g we plan converting fractional versions to
version object strings (due to compatibility with RPM), so bootstrap build is
wanted prerequisite. (Not mentioning moving packages between distributions or
testing other crazy ideas like parallel installation of different Perl
versions). I remember 5.12 rebuild and it was horror because of mixing old and
new builds. If new Perl is going to be released each year, we need to have
automated solution that can deal with all (ok. almost all) potential problems
the Perl rebase can bring.

-- Petr