Packages with inactive owners orphaned and inactive comaintainers removed

Petr Pisar ppisar at redhat.com
Wed Jan 11 09:07:25 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 09:51:32AM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 01/11/2012 09:26 AM, Marcela Mašláňová wrote:
> >On 01/11/2012 05:18 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> >>Note that the perl-sig pseudo-user could own the packages if the perl-sig
> >>wants to continue maintaining them and doesn't want them orphaned. That
> >>works right now. What it wouldn't grant is commit rights to the packages.
> >>
> >So, pseudo-user wouldn't work well...
> I don't see any reason why it would not.

What about regular PGP key and password changes? Wouldn't perl-sig find guilty
on next clean-up and removed of the ownership?

> perl-sig mails go to the perl mailing list, anybody interested can listen
> and step in. It's what several persons who are subscribed to the perl-list
> seem to have done for a long time - E.g. I do.

Only the ones who are rights to commit.

> I.e. to sum up: Actually nothing would change to you and nothing would
> change many of the "perl-sig" maintainers.

There would be a problem that nobody would be personally responsible for
a package. Also there could be problems with synchronisation between
unassigned volunteering perl-sig members.

I think it's better when each package is owned by a real person.

-- Petr