Perl 5.16 is available in F18

Petr Pisar ppisar at redhat.com
Thu Jul 12 15:32:07 UTC 2012

The perl maintainers are proud to announce perl 5.16.0 availability in
Fedora 18.

We have rebuilt 2102 packages in 37 days of total 2116 packages. That means we
failed to rebuild 14 packages only. This is amazing 99.34 %. See
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/perl5.16> for more details.

I'd like to thank to Paul Howarth for detecting and breaking all the
build-time cycles before I started the rebuild. It allowed smooth rebuild
without loosing in spagetti dependency graph (what happened to us last year).
The perl_bootstrap macro is now distributed with dedicated perl-srpm-macros
package independently on perl.

I'd like to thank to Jitka Plesnikova for specifying missing dependencies.
I could not fix all of the packages on my own. This time we managed to
bootstrap the whole Perl stack. That means next year rebuilt will be much more
fluent because we have corrected dependencies now so we can do the bootstrap
any time.

I'd like thank to Jan Kaluza for healing mod_perl to buildable level. Although
mod_perl is not completely usable yet (access to Apache internals is still
broken), it was good enough for rebuilding DBIx and Catalyst clusters.
mod_perl is bottle-neck for almost 200 packages
(http://ppisar.fedorapeople.org/perl_rebuild/5.16/notdone-20120628.svg).

I'd like also to thank to other packagers who fixed their packages failing
with perl 5.16.0 promptly. Keeping list of failing packages as short as
possible is prerequisite for fast progress of the mass rebuild.

Now, we will focus on backporting fixes for 5.16.0 from upstream blead branch.
If you find some bug or fix important, do not hesitate to nominate it to
Bugzilla. You can already find some `perl-5.16' subjects there.

We have been told by rpmbuild maintainer to take over Perl RPM dependency
generator. This will enable us to improve it and to free Koji environment from
Perl (or at least to move us this way). It will probably demand to introduce
obligatory BuildRequires on perl-devel in each perl package. Also the new
perl-srpm-macros opens new way for simplifying spec files like RPM-friendly
perl version arithmetics, automated CPAN packaging and so on.

I'm taking a vacation for a couple of next weeks, so I hope perl 5.16.0
will cause no serious troubles in rawhide. In any case Petr Sabata and the
new co-maintainer Jitka Plesnikova will be in charge.

-- Petr