Build perl against libdb rather than db4?

Petr Pisar ppisar at redhat.com
Wed Mar 21 09:43:13 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 09:27:01AM +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> I think Fedora's perl (and the rest of the distribution for that
> matter) should be built against libdb (db5) rather than db4, at
> least in Rawhide, so as to avoid problems like:
>
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/768846
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/712943
>
> Changed the BR: of db4-devel to libdb-devel is sufficient to achieve
> this, and the resulting perl does pass its test suite.
>
> Anybody else have any opinion on this?

Rebuilding everything against the same Berkely DB is the simplest solution.
But we need to migrate all packages whose library is dlopened. Getting such
package list is hard. And even we are not sure all the packages can be
compiled against db5. But I agree we need to move to the newer version.
I think non-migratable packages and db4 should be patched to version symbols.
I think feature page to track all relevant packages is suitable and wider
agreement (FESCo) necessary.

-- Petr