Reversing Module::Build version

Petr Pisar ppisar at redhat.com
Thu May 31 07:10:01 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 08:03:39PM +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Wed, 30 May 2012 18:26:03 +0200 Petr Pisar <ppisar at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > (1) prolong the provides to 0.3901 which will require a lot of code
> > with __exclude_provides and injection of artitifical Provides.
>
> I don't think it's that bad. In my local Module::Build (0.4000) package
> I have:
>
> %global perl_module_version 0.40
>
> # Account for differences between rpm and perl versioning
> %if "%{version}" != "%{perl_module_version}"
> Provides:       perl(Module::Build) = %{version}
> %endif
>
> So I end up with provides of both 0.40 and 0.4000, which rpmlint moans
> about but is otherwise harmless I think.

If it was only one module. But perl-Module-Build provides more versioned
modules. It's inconsistent to mangle only one of them (though probably no
other package build-requires the the other modules with a specific version).
And if we choose this way, we will need to support it forever.

> > (2) contrack version to 0.39 and increase epoch (both package and
> > Provides). That means adding epoch to provides which again requires
> > painful Provides editing as in (1).
> >
> > (3) keep short 0.39, increase package epoch only and remove the
> > version constrain from build-requires of above listed packages.
> >
> > I like the last option.
>
> As do I, though I would suggest bumping the version requirement to the
> next highest 2-digit version rather than dropping the version
> requirement completely.

I don't understand. What's the purpose of bumping `BuildRequires
perl(Module::Build) >= 0.36' to `>= 0.37'? Or did you mean to rewrite all the
build-requires requires the latest version of perl-Module-Build (>= 0.39)?

-- Petr