Perl packaging guidelines

Emmanuel Seyman emmanuel at seyman.fr
Sun Aug 4 10:16:04 UTC 2013

* Ralf Corsepius [08/07/2013 14:57] :

> When perl modules move away, they break building - I.e. these can
> easily be re-added at any time, when necessary.

Waiting until a module build has failed to fix it sucks, imho.

It's one thing to have internal mass rebuilds create FTBFS reports. It's
another to have users and downstream distributions notice this and force them
to create bug reports to have these fixed. It creates busy work for them and
conveys low packaging quality.

> Conversely, adding "everything", only meas to reflect the dependency
> state which was valid at one single point in time.

The same thing happens if you add a BR because of a FTBFS. There's no guarantee
that it will not beome useless at some point in time.

Emmanuel