[perl-Pod-Parser] 1.60 bump

Petr Pisar ppisar at redhat.com
Fri Feb 8 08:19:22 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 04:11:08PM +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Hi Petr,
>
> On 05/02/13 15:16, Petr Pisar wrote:
> >  # Tests:
> >  BuildRequires:  perl(Test::More) >= 0.6
> >+%if !%{defined perl_bootstrap}
> >+# Break circular dependency Pod::Checker <-> Pod::Parser
> >+BuildRequires:  perl(Pod::Checker) >= 1.40
> >+# Break circular dependency Pod::Usage <-> Pod::Select
> >+BuildRequires:  perl(Pod::Usage)
> >+%endif
> >  Requires:       perl(:MODULE_COMPAT_%(eval "`perl -V:version`"; echo $version))

> >  %check
> >+%if %{defined perl_bootstrap}
> >+# Break circular dependency Pod::Usage <-> Pod::Select
> >+rm -f t/pod/headings.t
> >+%endif
> >  make test
> >
> >  %files
> >  %doc ANNOUNCE CHANGES README TODO
> >-%{_bindir}/*
> >+%if %{defined perl_bootstrap}
> >+# Break circular dependency Pod::Usage <-> Pod::Select
> >+%exclude %{_bindir}/podselect
> >+%else
> >+%{_bindir}/podselect
> >+%endif
>
> These efforts to avoid a circular dependency between Pod::Parser and
> Pod::Usage don't actually work because ExtUtils::MakeMaker requires
> perl-podlators, which requires Pod::Usage, so it's pulled in anyway.

I know. Initially, I thought it will be necessary to upgrade Pod::Parser
without breaking build-root, but it turned out it was not necessary.

> There are a number of dual-lived packages for which circular
> dependencies seem to be quite unavoidable and need special treatment
> when bootstrapping, e.g.:

I think it's not possible to bootstrap dual-lived core packages without core
perl sub-packages. Mainly because they are not written in the way.

One could split scripts from libraries which would help at least with
Pod::Usage, but I believe it would not fix all issues. Therefore I'm not
going to deal with breaking cycles in these packages. (Bootstrap on next
rebuild will enable dual-lived perl sub-packages, then it will rebuild
standalone dual-lived packages, and then it will disable dual-lived
sub-packages again. Therefore I guard the sub-packages with perl_bootstrap.)

-- Petr