perl.pc file, for pkg-config, in perl-devel

Petr Pisar ppisar at redhat.com
Wed Oct 2 08:26:36 UTC 2013

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 12:51:35PM +0000, Aorimn wrote:
> This may not be the place to discuss this; if so, I apologies and
> beg you to show me the right place.
>
> I'm currently working on a C project which provides ability to
> extend the project through perl plugins -- among lua, ruby, python
> and C plugins.
> Although the perl plugin support is fine in itself, we miss the
> perl.pc file to be able to use pkg-config in our Makefile as we do
> with the others languages.

I appreciate your suggestion, however, in my opinion, putting the file only
into Fedora does not make much sense. I think this feature should be
everywhere or nowhere. That means the right place to discuss is the Perl's
upstream <perlbug at perl.org>.

> We thus wrote an attached perl.pc file suitable to Fedora 19 and
> wondered if this file could be added to the perl-devel package. This
> file should be placed in the /usr/lib64/pkgconfig/ folder after
> installation for pkg-config to be able to find it. The file is an
> adapted copy of the lua.pc file found in this very same directory.

The canonical source for CLFAGS and LDFLAGS is a configuration stored in
Perl interpreter libperl.so which can be accessed by Config Perl module. See
perlembed(1) manual. There is ExtUtils::Embed module to make it easily.

Therefore I forecast that Perl comunity will be reluctant to add pkgconfig
file. But you can try your luck there.

And speaking for Fedora Perl maintainers, as I said, I don't think extending
Fedora only is helpfull from global point of view. I don't want to start
emerging upstream projects that builds on Fedora only.

-- Petr