perl.pc file, for pkg-config, in perl-devel

Aorimn Aorimn at giboulees.net
Sun Sep 29 12:51:35 UTC 2013

Hi,

This may not be the place to discuss this; if so, I apologies and beg
you to show me the right place.

I'm currently working on a C project which provides ability to extend
the project through perl plugins -- among lua, ruby, python and C
plugins.
Although the perl plugin support is fine in itself, we miss the
perl.pc file to be able to use pkg-config in our Makefile as we do
with the others languages.

We thus wrote an attached perl.pc file suitable to Fedora 19 and
wondered if this file could be added to the perl-devel package. This
file should be placed in the /usr/lib64/pkgconfig/ folder after
installation for pkg-config to be able to find it. The file is an
adapted copy of the lua.pc file found in this very same directory.

If this solution is kept, a symbolic link may even be created to
reference /usr/lib64/pkgconfig/perl.pc in the same directory, but with
the perl version installed (something like `ln -s
/usr/lib64/pkgconfig/perl.pc /usr/lib64/pkgconfig/perl5.16.pc' for
Fedora 19) to ensure compatibility, although such file shouldn't
change to much.

Thanks for reading until here,
Kind Regards
--