Perl 5.20 postponed to Fedora 22

Petr Pisar ppisar at redhat.com
Thu Mar 27 08:17:37 UTC 2014

Hello,

I was thinking about upgrading perl 5.20 in Fedora for a long time and I think
the best how to do it is to wait for Fedora 22.

Fedora 21 development freeze and git branching is beginning of July
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/21/Schedule>.

Perl 5.20 is frozen now and the release is planned for the end of May
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.perl.perl5.porters/136164/>.

This gives us about a month for doing the upgrade.

New perl brings a lot of changes, especially implicit handling of locales
which will raise all the decimal signs and strerror() encoding issues dormant
over the whole CPAN. There are also various copy-on-write optimizations which
could break some XS modules.

New Fedora has special schedule to deal with the Next schism. I still
believe Fedora workging groups will come with something which could affect
Perl as Perl is needed for base stuff (RPM, git) as well as for developer
desktop (various non-core modules).

Also the timing is more tight than previous years. (We used to finish perl
upgrade in August.)

Although my mass-rebuilding script has gained new features like really faster
dependency solver (resolving 2000 packages is matter of minutes instead of
hours now), I think Perl should keep Fedora 21 cool and give Fedora a rest
time to accommodate to its own reorganization.

I plan to upgrade perl and do the mass rebuild after branching Fedora 21, so
perl 5.20 would be a system wide change for Fedora 22.

-- Petr