encoding module moved to a separate package

Petr Pisar ppisar at redhat.com
Wed Nov 19 08:54:09 UTC 2014

Hello, Perl hackers.

I moved "encoding" module from perl-Encode package into a new "perl-encoding"
sub-package in the Fedora 22. This allows us to minimize dependencies because
the encoding module is the only user of Filter::Util::Call over the Encode
CPAN distribution and it emphases the encoding module is deprecated.

It should not harm many packages:

# repoquery --whatrequires 'perl(encoding)'
fvwm-0:2.6.5-9.fc22.x86_64
hxtools-0:20140703-4.fc22.x86_64
sphinxtrain-0:1.0.8-16.fc22.x86_64
# repoquery --repoid=rawhide-source --archlist=src --whatrequires 'perl(encoding)'
perl-CGI-Deurl-XS-0:0.07-1.fc22.src

However, it still keeps minimal build root without the Filter modules, so many
bugs found on the last scratch rebuild
<https://ppisar.fedorapeople.org/perl_rebuild/scratch/2014-11-18/index.xhtml>
will have to be fixed. The bugs are mainly about usage of bundled Spiffy
module.

I urge maintainers to specify all build-time dependencies, inluding
dependencies of modules bundled in the ./inc directory. And because doing that
is tedious, I really recommend to unbundle the modules whenever possible.
(I.e. to prune the ./inc directory, edit MANIFEST, and list the bundled
modules as build-requires.)

-- Petr