[Fedora-php-devel-list] how to handle pear channel name & url change

Remi Collet Fedora at FamilleCollet.com
Sun Apr 4 15:03:02 UTC 2010

Le 02/04/2010 14:14, Christof Damian a écrit :
> Hello,
> the newest version of Doctrine (1.2.2) depends on the channel
> pear.doctrine-project.org instead of pear.phpdoctrine.org. The
> channel.xml file has also changed.

Both name and alias changes, so no issue to install both channels

> I would like to know what the best way to handle it. It is easy enough
> to change the php-channel-doctrine package to use the new names, but

As this is a new channel, update couldn't be detected in %post, so I
think you must always install it.

You can also try de remove it, even if it will fail in most case and
stay registered. It will be unregistered at a later update

I mean :

%post
# always add (hanlde update from old pear.phpdoctrine.org)
%{__pear} channel-add \
  %{pear_xmldir}/pear.doctrine-project.com.xml > /dev/null || :

if [ $1 -gt  1 ] ; then
  %{__pear} channel-update \
    %{pear_xmldir}/pear.doctrine-project.com.xml > /dev/null ||:

  # will fails in most case (if installed packages)
  %{__pear} channel-delete pear.phpdoctrine.org > /dev/null || :
fi

%postun
%{__pear} channel-delete pear.phpdoctrine.org > /dev/null || :
if [ $1 -eq 0 ] ; then
  %{__pear} channel-delete pear.doctrine-project.com > /dev/null || :
fi

> then the old channel will still be registered.

I don't think this is a big issue.
Channel already still registered when yum remove it (don't know why, but
yum uninstall channel before package, despite of Requires)

I also noticed than old package is not correct as
it install "pear.phpdoctrine.org"
but provides php-channel(pear.doctrine-project.com)

A review issue...

Well.. this update will fix this.

Don't forget to requires the latest channel in your package.

So : Provides:	php-channel(pear.doctrine-project.com) = %{version}
And  Requires:	php-channel(pear.doctrine-project.com) >= x.y

Regards, Remi.