inode 7

Wade Mealing wmealing at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 01:11:50 UTC 2004

I have tried a few things to fix this issue, but nothing seems to
work. Using a backup superblock didnt give me any luck.

I have installed ubuntu on this machine with the same partition layout
and the problem still persisted.

I'll be looking at doing another install sometime this week. After my
last attempt at fixing this issue it left my box in an unusable state.

Any ideas I should consider before doing this install to attempt to
find out exactly what is causing this issue ?

Kind regards

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 11:49:04 +1100, Colin Charles <byte at aeon.com.my> wrote:
> Wade, and I have seen some corruption in inode 7. I.e. after a bad
> reboot, you get inode 7 corruption errors, and fixing it with the backup
> superblock doesn't seem to work, per se
>
> While this isn't a problem when my laptop stays on for 15 days or so, it
> does tend to require a reboot, and blam!
>
> Wade has been able to reproduce it on two clean installs, and I after
> much frustration the other day, decided to format the entire disk (well,
> I wanted to reduce OS X's space and get it bumped to 10.3.5 :P), and did
> a fully clean install
>
> Passed -Fr to shutdown, ran fsck, and it worked fine (on a fully 100%
> clean disk)
>
> Otherwise, what's the cause for the inode 7 corruption and what's the
> easy fix? Surely not logging into root console, running fsck and saying
> yes to fixing things (or even fsck -y). Even fsck -b, and specifying the
> backup superblock tends to give ultimate weirdness (and a non-booting
> box)
>
> Regards
> --
> Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
> http://www.bytebot.net/
> "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you,
> then you win." -- Mohandas Gandhi

Wade Mealing